The Virginia Office of the Attorney General is seeking a qualified Network Engineer to join its Information Systems section. We offer the challenge and opportunity of public service, work-life balance, and an attractive compensation package inclusive of paid time off, paid holidays, health/dental/life insurance, retirement and more.
NETWORK ENGINEER (00249)
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
EXECUTIVE AND ADMINISTRATION DIVISION
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECTION
DUTIES: Under direct supervision of the Director of Information Systems, the Network Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of the OAG network (including security components), administering and maintaining Cisco hardware, shared responsibility of the OAG server environment and providing Tier 3 end user support. This position is also the team lead for the Infrastructure team so this individual will have to mentor and lead team members. Other duties of the position include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Manages the OAG network and other system components including installation, configuration, maintenance, security and troubleshooting
- Monitoring network performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN)
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the Director of IS
- Ability to quickly learn new or unfamiliar technologies and products, independently using documentation and online resources
- Assist with Tier 3 support requests, as appropriate
- Continue personal development and education to remain informed of current industry development and technologies
- Proactively identify and troubleshoot issues
- Use of a wide range of software applications and tools to diagnose and resolve issues
- Assist other team members with project tasks, as assigned
- Build and maintain positive relationships with vendors, OAG employees, and IS team members
- Serve as backup for the System Administrator on an as needed basis
- Performs other duties as assigned with the ability to sometimes work evenings and weekends
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a technology focused major or at least five years of experience in implementing, administering and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices, including: firewalls, routers, switches, wireless access points and controllers. Proven hands on network engineering experience that includes working with network monitoring, diagnostic and analytic tools; VMware Enterprise administration experience; working knowledge of Cisco VOIP systems; Understanding of network troubleshooting, SAN, VPN, firewall and Internet connectivity (DHCP, DNS, and wireless), intrusion detection and prevention techniques. Cisco certifications such as CCNA or CCNP are highly desired. Candidates must possess good interpersonal, customer support, verbal and technical writing skills and be a self-starter with ability to achieve deadline driven priorities is essential. Candidates must have the ability to collaborate and work in a team environment; exhibit professional initiative and self-direction; the willingness and ability to document knowledge and share with others is required. Strong communication skills and the creativity as a problem solver is a must. Must have a passion for new technologies, motivation and time management skills and attention to detail.
Candidates must be a U.S. citizen, possess a U.S. Work Permit or have Permanent Residency.
SALARY: This is a salaried, exempt position with full state benefits. Salary is up to $80,000 commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.virginia.gov. Veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER